Thursday, June 3, 2010

He Noticed

I know that I am very old fashioned when it comes to being a wife and mother. I know a lot of people don't want this life but I'm happy this way. Over the weekend I got to go out with a friend and visit - it's been way too long!! She was laughing at me because I love to grind my wheat by hand to make bread for my family. "Why don't you just get an electric grinder?" she asked. My answer, "Because I like to pretend like I live on a farm." Plus my kids get to help me grind it by hand, it wouldn't be so fun to have the machine do it all. Maybe someday I'll get an electric grinder but for now I really enjoy doing it slowly, by hand.

I share this story to illustrate that I actually find joy in doing things the old fashioned way. I LOVE being a stay at home mom and it makes me so happy to take care of my children and my husband the way women did way back when. Sure sometimes I wish I could get out of here and have something else in my life to make me feel more important. But, I know it would not be worth it because I already have what really makes me happy - a family. I am so blessed to be able to stay home with my kids full time and not have to work outside of the home.

Yesterday I did all of my daily and weekly chores from the heavy duty schedule and my house looked better than it has in months. I also spent some really good quality time playing with my kids, teaching them some new skills (planting seeds and grooming flower beds), and having them sit curled up on my lap reading to them (a personal favorite). When hubby arrived home he found a house in order and a very happy family. The best part - he noticed.

I do everything that I do in my life because it really makes me happy and I enjoy it. It is the icing on the cake when I see that he also gets enjoyment out of it, and that he really appreciates what I do being at home. Plus, I really just love making him happy. All in all, it was a great day and today is already shaping up to be just as good.

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is awesome! hurrah! You must have been really busy yesterday or, no?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to go! I spent my day resorting 15 pounds of 3 different types of beans back into 3 containers after 3 mischevious monsters decided to mix them on my living room floor. I needed to hear of hope and possibilities. Good Luck on keeping it up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Since Danielle respectfully declined to lay blame, I'll admit that mine were two of those said 3 monsters. The instigator and the cheerleader. And the sound effects (swooshing and evilaugh).

    ReplyDelete
  5. re-sorting beans is good too. hahaha. we all have those days. at least if you can laugh about it...

    ReplyDelete