Thursday, February 18, 2010

The schedule...

It's a long and probably never ending journey to balance life, family, and housework. Since my 2nd baby was born I've had many discussions with friends on how to improve the system. I have to give my friend, Heidi, most of the credit for this schedule idea. The plan is to have a set schedule for basic cleaning throughout the house. Ideally, if you miss a day you don't double up, you just wait for it to come back again. I've found it helpful to include a "free" day. I use this to do detail cleaning, grocery shopping, or catch up when things are out of hand. So, here it is for your thought:

Monday- Downstairs & Garbages
Tuesday - "free" day
Wednesday- Bedrooms
Thursday - Vacuum
Friday - Bathrooms

Adapt for yourself and give it a try. In addition to the schedule, my goal is to do 1 (and only 1) load of laundry every day and clean out the sink every night. I try to get my cleaning done after breakfast so that we can play in the afternoons, but that's still a work in progress.
Any suggestions on when to actually get ready for the day? It would be quite embarrassing if any of you knew how often I'm still in pj's well into the afternoon.

1 comment:

  1. Don't be embarassed to be in pjs in the afternoon - half of the time I have to hurry and change into clothes at 7 o'clock at night to pretend like I got dressed that day before Derek gets home. Then again, some days I don't even do that and on those days he gets home after his long day to find me in the same pjs he left me in. It's all good!

    And I am totally going to try your schedule - I have one too but it is from someone else and way more complicated so I get bogged down and give up. I like the simplicity - but I'll post mine too for any go-getters out there who want a big old system to try.

    ReplyDelete