Monday, March 8, 2010

The One-Touch system


Although my house is not perfect, I like organizing. One of the things I've learned from reading organizing books is that you should organize your house to fit your habits and not the other way around. If you organize to fit your already-established habits, your organization is much more likely to be successful.
An organization thought process that I really like is the One-Touch method. This means that you should be able to clean or organize your space in one touch. For cleaning, it means that you put stuff away right away. You clear the table and put them right in the dishwasher instead of letting them sit in the sink or next to the sink. I'm okay at doing this for breakfast, but usually after dinner is when I let things sit.
Here's what I did to clean up the paper clutter. When I bring the mail in, my habit is to just drop it somewhere. This makes a messy table or countertop. In addition, then I end up "touching" it several more times every time I move it out of the way before I finally get to sorting through it and doing bills and etc. What I did to solve that problem was I created a file system in my kitchen. I know I'm not going to change my habits and immediately file what needs to be filed, shred what needs to be shredded and pay what needs to be paid right when I walk in the door. This file system was a solution so I have one place to easily sort and drop my paper mess and get to it when I can. This system really works for me because I pay bills once a month. The rest of the month, I just let things accumulate. This system may not work for you, but think about your habits and creating a space for organizing your habit in One Touch.

As you can probably tell, I don't think I've done any shredding since Christmas break.

I bought the file organizers at an office-supply store and then just Mod-Podged paper inside and used scrapbooking rub-on letters to label them.

Now if someone could tell me what to do with my shoe mess!

2 comments:

  1. I love this! That is what I am talking about when I "clean out baskets" in the kitchen. I guess I have a lot more junk mail because I have a big basket deticated to it but the idea is the same. I love being able to have somewhere to put stuff until I have time to sit and go through it. I've just accepted that it is going to pile up (and it always does) but then at least it isn't on my table staring me in the face making me crazy all of the time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. great ideas that i should incorporate! paige saw my STACKS yesterday...i probably scared her to death. oh well, somewhere to start i guess!

    ReplyDelete