Friday, July 2, 2010

I know the community at large is not waiting with held breath for my next brilliant post, but I do want to apologize to Paige for my absence. Group support is no fun when you are the only one that contributes. I haven't stop cleaning my house, I've just been trying to fit in a new found hobby of "couponing" into everything else. Plus between kids and my hubby taking online classes, my computer time is very limited. Sorry.
As I was trying to think about what to post on, I realized I never responded to the nemesis known to many of you as bathrooms. Truth is, I kind of like cleaning bathrooms, with 2 major exceptions: floors and showers. I think the first must is consistency. It's hard when you dread it, I know, but you must do it every week. Second, I have a few germaphobic tendencies. I do not want to use the rag I used on my toilet on anything else in my house, or even wash it with my socks. It's just gross to me. So, I'm all about the Clorox wipes (or lysol, kirkland, etc.)
I use as many as necessary to wipe down my counter, sink, soap dispenser, and toilet. IF I do this every week, it's powerful enough to take care of things.

If I need something heavier duty however, I pull out the big guns: Scrubbing Bubbles.
I still use the disposable wipes with it, but it adds some cleaning power. As for the toilet bowl, my favorite cleaner is Lysol Power Cleaner. It just does the job. I haven't gone as far as disposable toilet brushes because it's not like I'll use the brush on anything else, so I don't care if it's gross. (I know, I'm weird.) Before we had a water softener I'd also need to spray some lime away in the bowl and scrub every couple of weeks.

Now, as for my shortfalls, I'm trying to make progress. I, of course, cringed at using the same mop on my bathroom floors as my kitchen floors. (I have a 3-year-old boy, need I say more?) But, I recently purchased the Swiffer mop Paige reviewed and I'm super excited to give it a try and change my ways. Up to this point most of my floor cleanings consisted of scrubbing on my hands and knees with a Clorox wipe. I'll tell you, that towel is much too small for the job.
As for the shower, (shudder) I'm guessing it's like the rest of the bathroom and wouldn't be so bad if I gave it some attention every week. Do I dare tell you that I think my shower was only cleaned probably twice in the last year, and one of those times was by my husband? Kind of pathetic. It just doesn't seem like there's an efficient way to get it looking good. It's a long tedious job that can't be done with kids at your feet, and since my shower shares a wall with my light sleeping daughter, it can't be done when kids are sleeping either. I'm giving the new Scrubbing Bubble power sprayers a try since I made money buying them.
They seem to do a fair job, but they definitely don't do the work for you. I also want to try a magic eraser on the tub, I've heard it works wonders. So, I guess I have something to report back on now. ;) But if you have a better way, please, please, please help!

1 comment:

  1. So nice to see you, haha. Really though thanks for all the info in this mega post! Kristin told me she has her kids wipe the toilet and sink with lysol (or whatever brand) wipes every day. I've trained my boys and I love it. I must admit we only do it a few times a week at most but if they at least keep most of the mess at bay I can manage the bathrooms much easier. I did it with them once - reminded them to wash hands good after using them and now they just know how to do it. It's great!

    ReplyDelete