Thursday, July 15, 2010

Fun with a Washing Machine

Well, this post is not going to help solve the ironing dilemma, but, I do want to mention a few things I've learned the past few months.
In February I started using cloth diapers on my #3.  He seems to have extremely sensitive skin and diapers and wipes were just too much.  So, I went with cloth.  As a result, I have learned a few things about my washer.  Some of these have probably been obvious to everyone but me.  If so, apologies in advance.
1.  Prewash or soak hard stains just like you would a crusty baked pan.
2.  Doing a cold rinse cycle before a warm or hot wash MAY keep a stain from setting in.
3. Drying in the sun will take out stains. 
4.  warm or hot water cleans better than cold (only use as necessary.  I'm all for saving energy).  Of course, check your fabric for temperature guidelines.
5.  Nothing cleans more easily than 100% cotton.
6.  Did you know you can wash your "Dry Clean Only" laundry?  I found out the dry cleaners is far from dry and it's a large, hot, community washing machine.  So I got brave with some old stuff and then tried things I care about.  I did a cold "hand wash cycle" and then hung to dry.  For more delicate items, use a drying rack, not hangers.  Still, this required a lot of ironing afterward. 
7.  I also have learned to not stuff the washing machine as full as possible.  If the clothes are packed together and don't move around freely, they won't get clean.  (yup, this seems like a no-brainer.  But most of this" running a household info" is all new to me.  That's why I like this blog!)

Cloth diapers also require only selected kinds of detergent.  Many contain "optical brighteners" or other additives that can be harsh on baby's skin or make cloth diapers not absorb as well.  Fabric softener, for example, is really an oil that of course will cause the diapers to not absorb as well.
My detergent of choice?
Charlie's Laundry soap.  
It cleans and interestingly, I noticed that since I had to quit using fabric softener in the washer and dryer my clothes rarely have static.  Also, even a small bag seems to last a LONG time!

No comments:

Post a Comment